Monday, October 24, 2011

Recycle!

For those of you who know me well, know I am a stickler for recycling (and not just the soda/beer bottles we get money back for at the grocery store).  I go through great lengths to recycle, my laundry room resembles a trash dump thanks to all of the bags I need to seperate and recycle.  But I don't mind because I know it's for a good cause.  I think the idea of recycling was burned into my brain during elementary school days at Carlton Palmore, they had a huge "Save the Earth" campaign and it just stuck.  It does take effort to recycle, not only do you have to seperate your trash but you also have to then take it somewhere to recycle it, but it's worth it.  Often I wonder where my glass, plastic, and paper goes; part of me wonders if some company is making millions off people like me.  But I don't care, all that matters is it does not end up at some trash dump or landfill further polluting the Earth.  If everyone just tried a little we could really make a difference.  This is something I try and instill in my daughter, I make recycling fun and make sure she understands what we're doing (well as much as I can, she is just 2 yrs old). 
  
For those of you who live in the area this is what the recycling bins look like (you can find them at most any grocery store, they are also spread throughout the city) :
 
 
These are for glass; brown, green, and clear :
And these are for plastic :
As far as recycling paper, that's a little different.  The city is nice enough to pick up paper on the sidewalk in front of your house.  But generally this only happens once a week, so be sure to check out your trash calendar (afvalkalendar) to see when it happens in your neighborhood.

For those of you not living in the area, go online and see what your city has to offer.  It's a worth while and rewarding experience.  And it condenses your general trash drastically, we are down to about one 40-50 liter (10-13 gallon) bag a week and this is for a family of three!  I am not a nature activist, I'm not even a tree hugger, I'm just an average person, taking a little extra step to help future generations.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment