Monday, January 20, 2014

Guard Dog (not!)

Last week, in the middle of the night a sound somewhere in our apartment woke me & the dog up.  Not unusual, but this time my husband was away on business.  We both waited a moment, heard nothing else and fell back asleep.  (And yes, the dog sleeps in our bedroom - on the floor.)  Again about an hour later we heard a sound again, this time it sounded like something in the sink or a basket shifting.  I couldn't place the sound, and neither could my dog (Maggie - Wheaten Terrier).  Since my daughter was in my bed that night (missing Daddy), I didn't feel the need to get up and go check her room.  But when Maggie wouldn't relax I grew a little concerned. 

Normally if she hears a concerning sound she barks and takes off to check the doors (like last night when she nearly gave me a heart attack).  This time she didn't go anywhere, but did occasionally let out a threatening (well, to others) low growl.  But yet she wouldn't leave her little bed.  Now was when I needed her to check the house, and my guard dog (not!) was letting me down. 

If we say, "who's there?" she'll search the apartment... but this time she still wasn't budging.  "C'mon," I complained, "do your job... who's there?"  She at least stood this time, all the while letting out little sounds here or there.  I nearly had to force her to go and check.  It was her reaction that luckily made me laugh and relieve all concern.  Instead of darting off like usual, she nearly crawled to the bedroom door, it was ridiculous.  Others might have been twice as concerned, but I was embarrassed for her and it made me laugh out loud.  She eventually made it to the bedroom door and sniffed around, but she never went and checked the house.  With a chuckle, and a, "thanks," I had to go look around for anything unusual myself.  Luckily, all was well!

Obviously Maggie's a lover not a fighter.  You can see that in the pics of her & her best friend (Joep - Jack Russell.)

 
Bye! Dag! Adios! Namaste!
:) Danica

No comments:

Post a Comment