Thursday, April 3, 2014

Online Degree

Since I have very little time this week to write a proper post or even mention some of the awesome things we did in Florida, I'm just going to throw one out there!

While on vacation out of no where it hit me.. instead of wasting time in the evenings watching movies or tv, maybe I should start using that time toward something more worth while... like a college degree.  See, I tried community college twice after high school, but it just wasn't for me.  Sitting in the long classes, tons of homework in the evening, come on, I was 18/19 yrs old and I had other things on my mind (plus petty part time jobs).  Then when I met my future husband, we had way more fun missing classes here & there and going on dates to get to know each other.  Before I knew it we were moving overseas, and the thoughts of a small community college were well behind me.

Now here I am over 11 yrs later... an adult.. a wife... a mother... and not many years of mature work experience behind me.  And for the first time realizing if I ever want to get back into the general workforce I might need a degree in my hand just to get through the door.  In my dreams, I am too creative for a desk job, I want to write, I want to create, and for this you don't need a basic degree, just a unique imagination.  But in reality, that doesn't always pay the bills.

When I returned from our vacation I decided to start checking into an online degree.  This suites me better, doing it at my own time & pace, and around the busy schedule of our family in the evenings from my home computer.  Plus I still live in The Netherlands and I am wanting to get an American (possibly UK) college degree.  But to my astonishment these online degrees (even just an associates) is still damn expensive.  Especially for someone who has no idea what they even want to study and thought of it on a whim.  I guess I'm going to have to give this more serious thought... considering I'm still too big of a wuss to try and publish any of my fiction stories.

Any of you have online college degrees?  If so, what was your experience?  Which school did you choose and why?

Bye! Dag! Adios! Namaste!
:) Danica

5 comments:

  1. At least you're thinking about it, that's something. If you do decide to pursue your degree, best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think only a very percentage of people graduate from for-profit schools because they are so expensive. I used to work for one and their graduation rate was 12%! But best of luck, going back to school is a big decision :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback Sara & Sara!
    :) Danica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven definitely heard the same thing about for-profit schools but more and more not-for-profit schools also offer completely online degrees. I would look into universities in the states as well. They may not come up on a Google search at the top but I'd check. I've heard more about Grad degree being offered through schools including UF, Michigan, Georgia etc but if they're doing grad degrees you'd think undergrad wouldn't be a stretch. Haven't compared or looked at pricing. It seems like there is a premium for online which makes zero sense with a lack of some overhead you'd think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I know what I;m actually interested I'll check into the major schools and see what they offer. Thanks for the tips!
      :) Danica

      Delete